Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2017

D.I.Y. Glass Bottle Centerpiece

Hello beautiful people!
Here's hoping you're all fine and groovy in your part of the world!
We've been in the middle of a bummer blizzard for the part three days, and I do mean bummer... as in, business closures, road closures, accidents, and shoveling... lots and lots and lots of shoveling. The snow is literally over my head in some places out there!
So what does a boho hippie chick do when she's trapped inside? Create beauty, what else! This little springtime-themed centerpiece is the perfect contrast to the gloom outside, and it's SO easy to make! I completed it in a about an hour once I had all my supplies on hand!

Here's what you'll need to recreate this beauty.
1. A clear glass bottle (I used a clean Jones Soda bottle... I love Jones because they are made with cane sugar instead of refined white sugar, and they come in glass bottles instead of plastic!)
2. A sheet of scrapbook paper or decorative paper in the pattern of your choice (the more colorful the better in my books!)
3. Scissors
4. A ruler
5. Wire cutters/snippers
6. Glue
7. Goo-gone or any "sticky" remover
8. Raffia/twine/yarn/something to tie a bow with.
9. Any other decorations you decide to use.
Making your centerpiece is easy! Just use your ruler to measure and cut a strip of paper approximately the same size as the bottle's label would be. It's okay for the edges of your paper to overlap a little; you want at least a centimeter of overlap to allow you to glue the two ends of the paper together. I didn't even bother to use Goo-gone to remove the glue remnants from the label... it just helped to stick my new "label" in place!
You can decorate the bottle any way you want... use glass paint to change the color of your bottle! Use the raffia/twine to tie a bow, like I did. Or, glue sequins, buttons, or beads onto the "label" or the bottle itself.

Then, you can fill your bottle.... use artificial flowers like I did (this is February, after all!), or use real ones if the season is right. You can also fill the jar with wheat or barley stalks for a more country look.
I just bought some cute fake flowers at the dollar store (you could try making some from fabric or tissue paper) and cut them apart with the wire snips (don't use regular craft scissors as you will dull the blades). I had to cut the stems apart because they were too thick to fit into the mouth of the bottle and made the arrangement too crowded. I also pulled the thick leaves off the "tulip" for the same reason... too much foliage and not enough space!
I hope you like this cute "hippie" centerpiece... let me know in the comments below if you decide to make it!
Love and Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment